Associate Degree Requirements

Students planning to graduate from MPC must file a petition for an associate degree and/or an application for certificate by the deadlines listed in the Graduation and Commencement section of the Catalog.

Students attending Monterey Peninsula College are eligible to receive multiple degrees. More specifically, a student may pursue more than one degree simultaneously. The requirements for the majors, along with the general education requirements, must equal a minimum of sixty associate degree-applicable units.

Associate Degree

The California State Board of Education has authorized the Monterey Peninsula College District Governing Board of Trustees to confer the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees. The Associate in Arts degree is awarded in the liberal arts area; the Associate in Science degree is awarded in the science and career education fields.

The associate degree is awarded upon satisfying the following:

  1. Competency requirements
    1. Reading
    2. Writing
    3. Mathematics
    4. Information competency
  2. General Education requirements
  3. Major requirements: Each course in the major must be complete with a grade of “C” or better.
  4. A minimum of sixty (60) degree-applicable units (courses numbered 1-299 with MPC GE, numbered 1-99 with CSU-GE, or designated as UC transferable with IGETC) with a 2.0 (“C”) or higher grade point average. Pre-collegiate courses (300-399) do not apply toward the degree. Grades earned in non-degree credit courses are not included in the calculation of the degree-applicable grade point average.
  5. A maximum of 20 units of “P” ("Pass") may be applied towards the associate degree.
  6. Completion of a minimum of twelve (12) units at Monterey Peninsula College, with at least six units in the major area.

Second Associate Degree

The general education and major requirements for the second degree are those listed in the College catalog for the academic year in which the student begins work on the second degree. The student must complete all the units required for the second degree. All general education courses required for the specific degree must be completed.

Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now codified in California Education code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer.” The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus.

Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.

The following Associate Degree for Transfer requirements must be completed to earn the AA-T or AS-T degree.

  • 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
  • The California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) pattern; or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
  • Earn a minimum of 18 semester units in the major or area of emphasis as determined by the community college district.
  • Obtainment of a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
  • Earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
  • For the Associate Degree for Transfer, students must meet the residency requirement of 12 units completed at MPC but do not need 6 units of residency within the major as with general associate degrees.

At the time of catalog publication, the following Associate Degree for Transfer programs have been approved at MPC. Additional majors may be in development. For more information, please consult a counselor and/or visit