Admission to California Public University Systems

Lower-Division Transfer (LDT) Admission Requirements

Many campuses restrict or prohibit enrollment of lower-division transfer students who have not reached junior standing. Contact the campus of your choice to determine if there are admission limits.

Upper-Division Transfer Admission Requirements (Advanced Standing or “Junior”)

All campuses admit upper-division (60 or more transferable units or 90 quarter units) transfer students. Contact a counselor to discuss campus-specific requirements.

California State University (CSU)

Bakersfield, Channel Islands, Chico, Dominguez Hills, East Bay, Fresno, Fullerton, Humboldt, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Maritime Academy, Monterey Bay, Northridge, Pomona, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, San Luis Obispo, San Marcos, Sonoma, Stanislaus.

Visit the websites and for more information.

Additional CSU Admission Requirements for Impacted Majors and Campuses

An undergraduate major or campus is designated as impacted when the number of applications received during the initial filing period exceeds the number of available spaces. Supplementary admission criteria may be used to screen all applicants for admission to impacted majors. Information is available at

Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT)

California community colleges offer associate degrees for transfer to the CSU. These include Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California community college students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing in the CSU system to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major but are not guaranteed admission to specific majors or campuses. Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining upper-division requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.

Monterey Peninsula College offers multiple AA-T and AS-T degrees. Contact a counselor for more information. To find out which CSU campuses accept each degree, vist and select “ADT Major/Campus Search”.

Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.

University of California (UC)

Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco (post-baccalaureate programs only), Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz.

Visit for assistance.

Some campuses may restrict applications of lower-division transfer students or those with excessive upper-division units. Contact the campus of your choice to determine if there are admission limits.

Upper-division Transfer eligibility: All campuses admit upper-division (60 or more transferable units or 90 quarter units) transfer students. Contact a counselor to discuss the campus-specific requirements.

Additional UC Admission Requirements

If a particular campus or major receives more applicants than spaces available, the campus will use additional admission criteria or requirements. Students are recommended to check with the campus of their choice for specific requirements.

Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)

The TAG program at Monterey Peninsula College is a “contract” that selected universities make with students who meet the transfer admission requirements and therefore are guaranteed admission. Each campus determines the minimum GPA and unit completion requirement.

The following six University of California campuses participate in the TAG program: UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz. Students must have completed at least 30 UC-transferable units to submit TAG. The TAG application is available online throughout the year and is submitted to only one preferred UC campus from September 1 through 30. TAG agreements are generally written one year prior to transfer and are subject to change; students should begin the process early by meeting with a counselor to receive the most current information.

Transfer Pathways and Pathways+

Students who are decided on a major but wish to keep their UC campus options open should consider the UC Transfer Pathways. As a clear roadmap and preparation for a major, a Transfer Pathway offers a single set of courses to take that will transfer to any of the nine UC campuses. Monterey Peninsula College currently offers UCTP programs in Chemistry and Physics. The Pathways+ program combines the Transfer Pathways with TAG, providing major preparation as well as guaranteed admission to one of the six TAG-participating UC campuses.

For more information on Transfer Pathway majors as well as the Pathways+ program, visit

CSU/UC Course Agreements Online at ASSIST

Comprehensive articulation information, including transferable course agreements for all California Community Colleges, is available online at ASSIST provides access to the most current articulation agreements between the California community colleges and UC or CSU, as well as information on the general education requirements, major preparation, and transfer pathways.