Admissions Process & Requirements


Anyone who is 18 years of age or older and is capable of profiting from instruction, or anyone who has a High School Diploma, a Certificate of Proficiency, a Certificate of Completion, or is admitted through a dual enrollment program, is eligible to attend Monterey Peninsula College. Students who do not possess a high school diploma, a Certificate of Completion, or a GED, or did not pass the High School Proficiency Exam, may be required to take an independently administered exam to demonstrate their ability to benefit from instruction at MPC.

Monterey Peninsula College shall admit students who are capable of profiting from the instruction offered. In addition, the College shall admit:

  • International students on F-1 or M-1 (student) visas with a minimum acceptable TOEFL score of 450 paper-based (or 133 computer-based; or 45 Internet-based), evidence of financial support during enrollment at the College, and approval of the International Student Programs designee.
  • Undocumented students will be admitted as nonresidents unless they qualify for the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption under the law (AB540) that was passed by the legislature in 2001 and amended in 2018.

Registration Priorities

Monterey Peninsula College awards priority registration in accordance with state mandates and College policy. Priority registration status may be earned or lost. Actions such as successful matriculation may earn a student an earlier registration priority while actions such as poor academic status may cause a student to lose their registration priority. Students who have lost their registration priority and would like to appeal may petition the Academic Council. For Academic Council petitions please visit the Admissions and Records website. Priority registration for continuing students is based upon the number of units completed at Monterey Peninsula College and the in-progress units for the current semester. Units completed at other institutions will not be considered. Active US military, US Veterans, Foster Youth, Homeless Youth, ARC, EOPS, CalWORKs, student athletes, ASMPC officers, and students within the following programs: First Year Experience, Teacher Pathway Program, Umoja, and TRIO have separate priority registration dates.

Student Classifications

  • New Student: A student who has never enrolled at any college or attended only as a 6th-12th grade student and is no longer enrolled in high school.
  • New Transfer Student: A student who has attended a college other than Monterey Peninsula College.
  • Continuing Student: A student who was registered in classes at Monterey Peninsula College the preceding semester.
  • Returning Student: A student who has attended Monterey Peninsula College previously, but did not register for classes during the previous semester.
  • Nonresident Student: A student who has not met California educational resident requirements and must pay nonresident tuition.
  • International Student: A student from another country who has applied to Monterey Peninsula College and has been accepted on F-1 or M-1 (student) visas through the International Student Programs Office.
  • Dual Enrollment Student: A student currently enrolled in grades 6 through 12 and who is at least 12 years of age.

Admission Process: New, Returning, New Transfer, and Dual Enrollment Students

The forms required in the admissions process are available on the Admissions and Records website ( and from the Admissions and Records Office.

As part of the admissions process, to assist the State of California in evaluating community college programs, social security numbers are requested. Social security numbers are required for students who apply for some types of financial aid and also for those who wish to obtain a 1098T tax form. All students will be assigned a Student Identification Number that will be used to conduct all MPC business.

New and Returning Students: All new and returning students must complete an Application for Admission prior to registering.

New Transfer Students: All new transfer students must submit an Application for Admission prior to registering. In addition, new transfer students who plan to seek a degree or certificate or receive veteran’s educational benefits or financial aid at Monterey Peninsula College must have copies of official transcripts of previous college work submitted, by all colleges attended, directly to the Admissions and Records Office.

Dual Enrollment Students (6th-12th Grades): A student currently enrolled in grades 6-12, who is at least 12 years of age, must complete an Application for Admission and a Dual Enrollment Form each semester or session of enrollment. As part of the dual enrollment form process, the student must have the recommendation of the school principal and parental approval. Students in grades 6-8 must have additional approval from the MPC Dean of Student Services or designee. For students participating in CCAP classes an application may not be needed each term. Please refer to the CCAP Process Informational Form on the Admissions and Records website or contact Admissions and Records for more information. 

A 6th-12th grade student may be admitted as a special part-time student and may only register in college credit courses (courses numbered 1-199).

The College may restrict the admission or enrollment into any course or program based on age and/or completion of a specified grade level or demonstrated eligibility for instruction using approved assessment methods and procedures.

Programs with Special Admission Requirements

Acceptance to Monterey Peninsula College or completion of program prerequisites does not guarantee acceptance into certain programs. The following programs have separate application and screening procedures which must be completed independently from regular admission. Please contact the specific department or the MPC Counseling Office for more information.

  • Nursing: (831) 646-4258
  • Police Academy: South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium (408) 229-4299 or (831) 646-4240
  • TRIO Student Support Services (TRIO SSS): (831) 646-4246

Admission Process: International Students

Monterey Peninsula College currently welcomes 40+ students from 20 countries. The International Student Programs Office offers comprehensive support and services to assist students (see International Student Programs). The following documentation is required by federal law in order to be considered for admission:

  1. An International application, in addition to the general MPC admissions application, which may be downloaded from the MPC website;
  2. Official copies of all academic records showing subjects taken and grades earned;
  3. Financial certification form (available at above-listed website) and bank statement(s) from the student and/or student sponsor(s);
  4. Evidence of English language proficiency (for all applicants whose native/first language is not English) satisfied by a minimum TOEFL score of 450 paper-based; 133 computer-based (CBT); or 45 Internet-based test (iBT).

Conditional Admission: Students who have not taken the TOEFL, or who scored below 450 paper-based, 133 CBT or 45 iBT may be eligible for “conditional admission.” This means that applicants meeting the academic and financial requirements for admission to MPC will be accepted conditionally to begin intensive English language study at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) ESL program. Upon completion of study at the MIIS ESL program, and a positive recommendation from the MIIS ESL program director, plus the appropriate minimum TOEFL score, applicants will be accepted for full-time study at Monterey Peninsula College.

Budget: MPC tuition and fees are at least $8,064 per year for full-time students; approximate room, board, books and supplies ($9,000) and health insurance ($1,528) bring the average annual budget to approximately $18,592. International students must purchase school health insurance at the time of registration. Financial aid is not available for international students.

More information: Applicants may contact the International Student Programs Office through the MPC website at or directly by e-mail at or by telephone at (831) 645-1357.


California Residents

This information applies to U.S. citizens, students on permanent resident visas, and students on visas that allow the establishment of residence. You may be asked to submit documentation to verify California residence.

Resident student classification for education purposes will be given to students 19 years of age or older who have resided in California for at least one year and one day prior to the beginning of the semester or session, and have “manifested the intent” to make California their residence one year and one day prior to the beginning of the semester or session. “Manifested the intent” means having the supporting documentation indicating the intention to make California one’s state of legal residence. This is normally done by filing state income tax forms as a resident, by voting as a resident, and not possessing documents contradicting California residence (e.g., paying state taxes to another state, voting absentee for another state, petitioning for a divorce in another state).

If a student is under 19 years of age and the student’s parent or legal guardian meets the conditions listed above, the student may qualify as a California resident upon completion of the Request to be Classified as a California Resident form.

Nonresident status is not changed automatically. Students previously classified as nonresidents must complete a Request to be Classified as a California Resident form. If requesting California resident status, this form, with required documentation, must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office. Dependents of active duty U.S. military personnel assigned to California may be exempt from nonresident tuition upon completion of the U.S. Military Dependent form available at

Residency may only be adjusted during the term in which the nonresident fees are billed. Upon the conclusion of the term, all fees become finalized. Residency will not be changed retroactively.


All students are welcome at MPC. Students not meeting the California residency requirement, including international students, undocumented students, and students possessing visas which preclude them from establishing California residence, will be classified as “nonresidents” and are subject to nonresident tuition.

The law governing residence determination for tuition purposes may be found in the California Education Code and in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. A copy of the statutes and regulations is available for review in the Dean of Student Services Office or in the Admissions and Records Office.