This certificate gives students a grounding in sustainable landscape irrigation based on local practices. It includes the opportunity to become certified as a Qualified Water Efficient Landscaper (QWEL). QWEL is a widely recognized certification based on principles of sustainable landscape design and water conservation in the design and management of landscape irrigation systems.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Pass the Qualified Water Efficient Landscaper exam.
- Conduct a landscape water audit and make recommendations to enhance efficiency.
- Design a small landscape irrigation system appropriate to the soil and plant materials.
- Determine the water needs of landscape species.
- Explain and apply the evapotranspiration rates of the Monterey Peninsula throughout the irrigation season.
- Explain and choose appropriate irrigation components for water delivery and scheduling.
Certificate of Achievement Requirements
|HORT 51||Introduction to Horticulture I||3|
|HORT 52||Introduction to Horticulture II||3|
|HORT 70||Irrigation Design and Water Economy||3|
Please refer to the graduation requirements section of the Catalog for information about degree and certificate requirements including Reading and Writing, Mathematics, Information Competency, and General Education requirements.
MPC “Ready to Work” Career Education programs offer students the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills needed for employment and job advancement.
All students should consult with a Counselor to discuss career pathways, for support with career exploration and planning, and to create a personalized education plan to help them meet their academic, career, and personal goals. Visit MPC’s Counseling website for more information about Counseling services provided by MPC and to connect with a Counselor.
Additional resources are available through MPC’s Career & Transfer Resource Center (CTRC). The CTRC offers career resources, workshops, guidance and referrals. Visit the CTRC for support finding online career information and other resources to explore majors, occupations, and employment information.