Transfer Process

It is recommended that students work closely with a counselor to develop an education plan for transfer to a four-year institution. Students who are preparing to transfer to a bachelor’s degree program should familiarize themselves with the current catalog and website of their transfer college for information about admission qualifications and application procedures, since these vary and are subject to change. Students planning to transfer may, with careful planning, also complete the graduation requirements for MPC’s Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree. Students are encouraged to complete both transfer and AA/AS requirements in order to have completed a degree upon transferring. They should meet with a counselor for degree and transfer counseling. See “Associate Degree” and “Associate in Arts/Science for Transfer”.

There are four major components to transfer from a community college to a college/university bachelor’s degree program:

  1. Total units required
  2. General education courses1
  3. Major preparation courses
  4. Minimum grade point average

Transfer students interested in California State Universities (CSU) or Universities of California (UC) should become familiar with general education requirements. Students with units from another college or university should have official transcripts sent to MPC Admissions and Records Office and meet with a counselor for a complete evaluation.

Effective and competitive transfer strategies include taking the required level of Math and English as soon as possible; maintaining the highest possible GPA; completing as many major prerequisites as possible; and following deadlines.